Friday, February 26, 2010

The oddity of the body

The body is currently towards the end of a down week of training (~60 miles vs. the usual low 70 mark). And funny, despite running fewer miles and logging more consistent sleep (compared to previous weeks of higher miles and less sleep) the body is currently consistently tired and fighting a few microscopic bad guys that have run down the immune system. Furthermore, the consumption of coffee early in the day produced little to no effect in overall energy level and alertness. The expected bright eyed and bushy tailed response failed to occur. Interesting.

Yet the body is not responding to this week's training so much as the composite string of the past 72-72-71.5. The stress (take that the right way - physical labor and requirements placed upon the body and immune system) built from those miles is being felt now. Interesting.

So does that mean the body will eventually catch up and catch a break from this week? You tell me.


In other news, I think pool lane sharing is quite communist in nature. While my lane neighbor proved amiable in nature, his wingspan still overflowed well onto my side. The whole lane definitely turned into OUR lane, as opposed to my side and his side. And my attempts to swim big and spread out just proved futile. Sometimes not having my man body really doesn't help.

How is a teacher suppose to react when said professional finishes a run back to campus and is greeted with the hoots and "Holla"s from students. All I could think was, "I was already doing basic Algebra and receiving awkward lectures about sex from my dad when you were born!!!" Thank goodness said runner decided to keep their shirt on even though the sun was out and shining brightly.

On this morning's run:
Pottey: "Tim, I hope you never stop running..."
Tim: *thinking* "Wow, what a nice guy. I bet he is going to talk about being seventy-five and doing local 10K's in short shorts and knee-high socks and still giving the young guys a run for their money."
Pottey: "...because I don't want you to get fat, especially with all your talk of loving donuts."

I should probably enrich myself by reading a book. Game on.

No comments:

Post a Comment