Saturday, March 6, 2010

Back On My Grind: Feb 28-Mar 6

Last week done, this week marked a return to the low-70 area. Time to get back on the grind, and push ahead Our health on this earth is short, seventy or eighty years if we have the strength. Use it now, and enjoy in the process.



SUN

10 miles solo on Late Loop - planned an afternoon run, but running partners didn't make it so got out the door closer to 5pm. From the training log: "Felt like I had never a day in my life for the first few miles." Really disheartened out the door, but as the warm early evening runs always seem to do, the legs loosened up eventually and turned out to flow really well. Really enjoyed myself once things began moving.



MON

10 miles through Rancho and UNR w/ Sean in AM. Overall legs a bit sluggish, but decided to quit the poutting that often accompanies these days and instead remain positive and just roll with whatever happened. Highlight of the day = the war vet in the boat of a Buick honking as he drove by us. Initial instinct told me to flip the bird, but as he and his honking got closer the old guy was pumping his fist/horn in support of our morning effort with a gargantuan smile. Gotta' love the love.



TUES

11 miles from Anderson to Lakeridge Golf Course w/ Sean in AM. Again from the training log: "Oofta...legs felt empty and tired." Skin on balls of feet (aka where I land and push off which consequently expands said skin) cracked which throws off mechanics and all the odd stress builds up in the ankles, leaving them sore/tight latter in the day.



WED

7.5 miles around UNR solo in PM. Planned an ugly-butt-crack-of-dawn morning run (I HATE working at school all day and then running), but didn't work out. Run just felt like it took a long time. Rock climbed for three+ hours afterwards for roomie's birthday = straight amazing! And it provides such a contrast to running. In running there is much focus, routine, purpose, seriousness, and even stress. Thus I've associated all sorts of "heavier" emotions with this adventure. However, the rock climbing was nothing but fun. So simple, so fun. I think I'm going to ask for a pair of shoes for the upcoming birfday.



THUR

11.5 miles on BLC route w/ Sean in AM. Chill run, good convo. Felt the body run out of glucose (and thus have to start breaking down glycogen - the secondary, long-term energy source in the human body) right around mile niner. A very odd feeling, and also a bit frustrating given I ate a Clif Bar an hour before the run. But obviously the body told me it needed fuel. So instead of stretching after the run I made a mondo breakfast: two eggs with two sausage patties, rice, and avacado, two pieces of toast, and oatmeal with raisins and pecans.



FRI

8 miles through Mayberry Canyon and Woodchuck trails w/ Pottey and Hannah in AM. Legs nothing special, but pace stayed chill.



SAT

15.5 miles along Truckee River Parkway w/ Pottey, Hannah, and Teg in AM. Great to run long with people. Pace never got out of control - makes a person realize how odd they have become: "You mean long days can be chill and I can finish WITHOUT feeling like death???" Also odd to run with the intent purpose of making the expernce better for someone else in the group.

WEEK
72.5 miles. Did not feel amazing this week, but that is the grind. Back on the grind. Back to work. Log the miles and the body will adjust to the imposed stressors and required demands.

Tentative race schedule
Mar 13 - UC-Davis Aggie Open
Mar 21 - Emerald 12K Across the Bay (San Fran)
Mar 26 - San Fran St. Invite

Apr 3 - American River College Invite
Apr 9/10 - Chico Distance Carnival
April 16/17 - Woody Wilson Classic at UC-Davis

May 2 - Reno Marathon/Half
May 8 - Sacramento State Open
May 29 - Aggie Twilight at UC-Davis
May 31 - Marin 10K in Kentfield

June 4/5 - Reno Tahoe Odyssey Relay

Random note - the guy playing open mic in the coffee shop said he was friends with the late Bo Didley. He is the first human that I've ever heard of who knew Bo Didley. Wow. The guy is playing in front a pretty sparce crowd. Two trains of thought. One - this sucks, there are seven people listening. Two - cool, I get to play my music for these seven people. I really hope he is playing for the sake of his instrument and love of music.

Finally recieved my tax return late this week. Taxes were finished and filed two weeks ago. All signs pointed to a maximum of five days before the return came around. That time period came and went. Furthermore I waited for the funds for numerous reasons: credit card, utility payment, food, gas, ect. Days continued to pass without any deposit and the car used its gas and the food in the cabinets was consumed. Finally mid-week, after checking my account for the second time that day, a little voice popped into my head: "Tim - this is the Lord. Have I ever let you down??? Since moving to Reno you've never once run out of gas, lacked food, or missed a credit card payment. Furthermore you buy a cheap cup of coffee once a week and travel to Tahoe every few weeks for deep tissue work. Am I really going to stop taking care of you now? Stand. On. Me." How easily we place our trust in the things of this world which prove unpredictable. King Solomon actually spoke with God on more than one occasion (x-ref 2nd Kings) and he misplaced his faith and trust in pagan gods. Exercise of faith needs to be a Christian's priority. I can't expect to run three days a week and still attain my lofty goals. In the same way I can't exercise my faith on a seldom basis and expect to be strongly connected to the Lord. And I think the whole tax return "experience" proves this point.

Thanks for reading.
Patience and miles.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Timmy, good thoughts on exercising your faith in the same way you run daily. One of my favorite passages is 1 Timothy 4:7b-8, "Rather, train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." Paul is always great at putting things into perspective for me!

    ReplyDelete